Thursday, June 12, 2014

New Staff Member- Shawn Radis, 5th grade

We said goodbye to longtime 5th grade teacher, Corey Kuhne at the end of this school year. Corey retired from Lopez but plans to continue working at Jax Mercantile and Outdoor Gear on N. College. Best wishes Corey!
I am very pleased to introduce Shawn Radis who is moving his family across country from New Jersey this summer to join us as a 5th grade teacher. Shawn will be specializing in social studies and science instruction.

Educational and Professional Background:

My name is Shawn Radis and I am very excited to be teaching at Lopez Elementary this upcoming academic year. Before Lopez, I previously taught 5th and 6th grades in Delaware and Pennsylvania. I grew up in Northern Idaho and have always loved the mountains. My family and I are so excited to be moving to Colorado and have the opportunity to move back to the Rocky Mountains. I have lived out East for the past 20 years due to the military, college and professional obligations that I had. I can’t wait to be a Colorado resident!

I spent over 3 years on active duty in the U.S. Army as an Infantryman at Fort Campbell, Kentucky and Camp Hovey, South Korea. I then received my Bachelor’s degree in law and justice from Rowan University in Glassboro, NJ. Finally, I received my Master’s degree in education from Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. I hope to receive my Doctorate in Education in the very near future.

I have been teaching for 11 years and coaching baseball for 6 years. I spent 6 years teaching 6th grade Mathematics, Science and Social Studies in Delaware and 5 years teaching 5th grade Mathematics, Science and Social Studies in Pennsylvania.

My family consists of my wife Tara who is an emergency room nurse manager and my 3 children. My oldest son Hunter will be entering 5th grade and the twins, Abigail and Jake, will be entering 3rd grade. Then, there is Roxanne my 5 yr. old yellow lab and the two cats Parsley and Pork Chop. Our favorite activities are cheerleading, softball, baseball, swimming, waterskiing, hiking, camping, fishing and hunting. We are chomping at the bit to experience the outdoors of Colorado.

I am looking forward to having a fun and productive year as a 5th grade teacher at Lopez Elementary. GO LASERS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment